Recipe by Lauren Zito- @eatprettynyc
The sweetness of the tomatoes is balanced out by the saltiness of the anchovies which vanish into the sauce. Don't be shy with the grated cheese!
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 anchovy fillets; rinsed and patted dry
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 small onion; minced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lb yellow tomatoes
2 tbsp dry white wine
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 lb spaghetti
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Using a small knife, remove tomato stems and discard. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for about a minute or until you see the skin peeling off. Remove tomatoes from pot and rinse under cold water. Once cool enough to handle, peel skins off tomatoes. Save the tomato water. This is where you will be boiling your pasta.
2. Place saffron in a small bowl. Take one ladle full of tomato water and pour over saffron. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add anchovies and red pepper flakes, breaking anchovies into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Once dissolved add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent; about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, crushing them with the back of the spoon. Add the wine and lower to a simmer, cooking out the alcohol. Add the butter and saffron liquid and stir until melted. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Cook sauce until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
4. Pour sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Put back in pan.
5. Bring tomato water back to a boil. Season generously with salt. Add pasta and cook until just shy of al dente, about 2 minutes before the package instructions. Remove pasta from pot with tongs and place into sauce. Ladle some pasta water and add lemon juice and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Cook and stir for another minute or 2 over low heat. Plate pasta and garnish with the rest of cheese and pinches of saffron.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!