We're Hiring Fellow Food Lovers
Join the Food Family. Change the Food System.
Local Roots is changing the way New Yorkers buy, cook, and eat locally sourced food. Join our team and play a role in revolutionizing localized food networks. We believe in the power of community. That we can connect fellow New Yorkers and sustainable family farmers. That if we work together, we can heal our broken food system and create a healthier, more delicious, just and sustainable future for all of us. That together, we're unstoppable. We’re looking dynamic, hard-working team players to join the Local Roots team.
Farm to Table Cafe Team Member
We are building our opening team and bringing on versatile and flexible team generalists. This position is a revisioning of traditional Front and Back of House roles, a combined customer service, education, market, and cooking role. Responsibilities rotate through:
- Local Roots Ambassador: Educating customers on the mission of Local Roots, the fresh and seasonal ingredients available in the market, and how to cook these items. Comfortable speaking about our food system and ways we can change it.
- Customer Service: Work the front counter and ring up Market orders. Prepare simple coffee and tea drinks, and serve pastries. Provide excellent customer service.
- Food Preparation: Receive and process deliveries. Handle food in a safe and compliant manner. Cook recipes to the highest standards and prepare ready-to-eat and pre-made foods to sell in the café.
- Market Support: Receive process market deliveries. Stage and restock market shelves.
- Photo Studio and Event Space: Support bookings and logistics for in-house Photo Studio and Event Space.
- Covid-19 Compliance: We are opening during a Pandemic. All Team Members will be responsible for keeping the Market and Café safe and clean, and will be empowered to enforce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and reduced indoor capacity requirements as mandated by New York City.
Local Roots is a very small and scrappy team- the ideal candidate is:
- A punctual, reliable and responsive partner: You are a self starter and a real team player. We want you to be all-in and a key member of our opening team!
- Able to represent Local Roots as a thoughtful and passionate advocate for local farmers and fellow New Yorkers- you are committed to learning the ins-and-outs of the Local Roots mission and share it with the community
- Willing and ready to get their hands dirty, and enter into the work with the understanding that we are a new extension of the Local Roots business
- Versatile and flexible- comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once
- Empathetic and thoughtful- excellent communication and listening skills, particularly with customers, wholesale vendors, and one another. You are committed to communicating clearly with Local Roots Management at all times, voicing any concerns from customer communications
- Has a strong sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership: you can work quickly and efficiently while staying calm in a fast paced environment
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Prior kitchen or culinary experience strongly preferred
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- The Market and Café is currently planning on opening in Spring 2021
- This is a part-time position, 4-8 hour shifts, 18 hours/week
- We ask for a general availability commitment during the interview process, mornings or evenings. We are happy to give you more information about the shifts during the interview process, though generally there will be a morning and evening shift.
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
- This position is paid hourly ($16) and receives tips cash and credit
- Restaurant, hospitality, customer service, or grocery experience preferred
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with Local Roots: Cafe Team Application, [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
See full job description here.
Local Roots is growing and we're looking for an experienced warehouse worker to play a critical role on our Operations team. In this capacity, you will aid with operations Monday through Friday by receiving, staging, and packing perishable, high quality ingredients.
This is a seasonal job in spring through fall, with the possibility of being extended throughout the year.
Core Responsibilities Include
- Maintain a clear and organized work station
- Weigh and pack diverse range on ingredients, including fruits, mushrooms, vegetables, eggs, cheese, and meat
- Execute quality control and maintain the high standards of ingredients being distributed
- Receive, weigh, stage, and palletize product accurately and efficiently
- Execute FIFO on all inventory
- Communicate clearly with Local Roots staff
- Maintain efficient systems and complete tasks in a brisk manner
Hours and Availability
This is a full-time position, 30-40 hours per week
To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Warehouse Associate - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.