We're Hiring Fellow Food Lovers
Join the Food Family. Change the Food System.
Local Roots is changing the way New Yorkers buy, cook, and eat locally sourced food. Join our team and play a role in revolutionizing localized food networks. We believe in the power of community. That we can connect fellow New Yorkers and sustainable family farmers. That if we work together, we can heal our broken food system and create a healthier, more delicious, just and sustainable future for all of us. That together, we're unstoppable. We’re looking dynamic, hard-working team players to join the Local Roots team.
Marketing and Events Partnership Coordinator
We are seeking a Marketing and Events Partnership Coordinator who is passionate about sustainability, community, and local food. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies, building strategic partnerships with local businesses and larger brands, acquiring new corporate clients for our food-focused experiences, and leading the execution of diverse events. Additionally, you will be required to plan and host events promoting sustainability and local food, while working within a tight budget.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that promote sustainability and local food
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with local businesses and organizations
- Acquire new corporate clients for our sustainable food-focused corporate experiences
- Plan and execute events that promote sustainability and local food
- Manage all incoming rental and party requests for the Market & Cafe; organize logistics needed to complete a successful event from start to finish
- Collaborate with internal teams to create marketing materials, including social media content, website updates, email newsletters, and text campaigns
- Communicate with clients to offer exceptional customer service and a superior event experience that meet Local Roots standards
- Conduct market research to identify new marketing opportunities and upcoming value aligned events to be involved with
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with event partners
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of marketing campaigns, partnerships, and events to propose strategies to increase engagement
- Grow client list for corporate farm-to-table experiences
- Manage and grow social media partnerships
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in marketing, partnerships, or related field
- Proven excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of sustainability, local food, and the food industry
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Experience using Klaviyo or similar newsletter campaign site and strategically drafting newsletters for a business
- Experience hosting events, including planning, logistics, and execution
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience creating content for social media
- Experience in budget management and being able to work with a tight budget
- Friendly, outgoing personality that enjoys talking to people and making connections focused around Local Roots
- Self motivated and proactive, can work well independently and has excellent organizational and time management skills.
Payment and Benefits:
- This position is part-time and paid hourly, $25-$32/hour, depending on experience
- Commission of 5% is given on any corporate events that are initiated and executed
- Up to 40 hours accrued annual Paid Sick Leave
- Complimentary weekly Vegetable share (5 varieties of organic, seasonal veggies)
- 20% discount on any Local Roots products (including lifestyle products and all other treats!)
- 20% off at all Local Roots Market & Cafe locations
- This role includes onsite work at events throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn, market locations, and all Local Roots locations
- $300 joining bonus after 6 months of employment
- As a Local Roots employee, you will be eligible for any additional benefits that become available in the future.
If you are a passionate New Yorker with experience in marketing, partnerships, event planning, and a strong interest in sustainability and local food, we would love to hear from you! Please send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and personal qualities.
How to Apply:
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that details your previous experience planning events and/or building and maintaining partnerships.
Local Food Delivery Driver
We are looking for a fellow food lover who wants to join our team as an essential part of bringing flavorful, local ingredients to fellow New Yorkers.
- Safely load, transport, and deliver boxes of perishable ingredients to residences across Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens
- Stay on schedule to ensure timely deliveries
- Handle delicate ingredients carefully to maintain quality of products
- Represent Local Roots NYC by being positive, kind, and respectful
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- The Local Roots warehouse is located in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
- This is a part-time position, 3-4 hours shifts, Tuesday-Thursday
- Deliveries take place throughout Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens
- This position is paid hourly in addition to receiving a complimentary weekly share of organic vegetables
- Driving or grocery experience preferred
- Must have a proven clean driving record, valid driver's license, and access to a GPS device for navigation during work hours
- The Local Roots delivery driver will drive the company van
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Local Roots Delivery Driver Application [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
Farm to Table Cafe Team Member
We are looking for a fellow food lover and chef who wants to join our team as an essential part of bringing flavorful, local ingredients to New Yorkers. Our new Market & Cafe in Carroll Gardens is a small operation with opportunities to grow within the company. It’s the perfect place to expand your cooking skills in a healthy work environment with a creative and collaborative team! The Market+Cafe promotes a healthy and collaborative work environment and each of our employees is valued for their opinions and skills.
- Food Preparation: Handle food in a safe and compliant manner. Follow recipes and prepare/cook food to the highest standards. Prepare ready-to-eat and pre-made foods to sell in the café. Monitor quality control of each food item throughout preparation and service.
- Receive and process deliveries. Store fresh produce and goods upon delivery according to food safety standards.
- Maintaining an efficient dish pit and clean kitchen, up to par with food safety standards.
- Opportunity for recipe development and creation using seasonal, local ingredients from our amazing farms.
- Team collaboration on events, new menu items, and building the market & cafe community.
- Event Preparation and Service: Support logistics for Local Roots events and lead the team in food preparation, service, and presentation.
- Covid-19 Compliance: We are opening during a Pandemic. All Team Members will be responsible for keeping the Market and Café safe and clean, and will be empowered to enforce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and reduced indoor capacity requirements as mandated by New York City.
- A punctual, reliable and responsive partner: You are a self starter and a real team player!
- Versatile and flexible- comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once
- Empathetic and thoughtful- excellent communication and listening skills.
- Has a strong sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership: you can work quickly and efficiently while staying calm in a fast paced environment
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Proven experience working quickly in the kitchen
- Commercial kitchen, restaurant or culinary experience required
- Experience with food preparation, knife skills, following recipes
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- This is a full time position ranging from 35-40 hrs/week. Part time hours are available as well.
- We ask for a general availability commitment during the interview process, mornings or evenings. We are happy to give you more information about the shifts during the interview process, though generally there will be a morning and evening shift.
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn with seating for approx 20 guests and offers take out options
- This position is paid hourly and receives tips cash and credit
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
See full job description here.
Local Roots is growing and we're looking for an experienced warehouse worker to play a critical role on our Operations team. In this capacity, you will aid with operations Monday through Friday by receiving, staging, and packing perishable, high quality ingredients.
This is a seasonal job in spring through fall, with the possibility of being extended throughout the year.
Core Responsibilities Include
- Maintain a clear and organized work station
- Weigh and pack diverse range on ingredients, including fruits, mushrooms, vegetables, eggs, cheese, and meat
- Execute quality control and maintain the high standards of ingredients being distributed
- Receive, weigh, stage, and palletize product accurately and efficiently
- Execute FIFO on all inventory
- Communicate clearly with Local Roots staff
- Maintain efficient systems and complete tasks in a brisk manner
Hours and Availability
This is a full-time position, 30-40 hours per week
Paid hourly with additional produce perks and PTO
To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Warehouse Associate - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.
- Is passionate about local ingredients, seasonal produce, and home cooking
- Is outgoing and friendly, who is able to clearly communicate announcements, information about each week’s share, answer questions to prospective members, and build rapport and relationships with the Local Roots community
- Has a can-do positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit who’s able and willing to do whatever it takes (e.g. lifting boxes, signing up new members, making sales, problem solving, and multi-tasking)
- Is extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Can problem solve on-the-spot and respond to members kindly when addressing any issues.
- Has a growth mindset and is able to receive and give feedback
Core Responsibilities Include
- Setup and breakdown the market site each week
- Curate a beautiful market experience for our Local Roots members
- Assist Local Roots members in picking up their groceries
- Distribute the correct quantity and variety of ingredients based on members’ specific orders
- Engage with Local Roots members by sharing notes about the seasonal produce, creative cooking tips, recipe ideas, and what you learn about our farmers and purveyors.
- Clearly explain the Local Roots brand to newbies and sell them on the weekly subscription service
- Build community around local food in your neighborhood
- Communicate with Local Roots team to share necessary feedback
- Sell ingredients onsite to upsell members and increase weekly sales
Hours and Availability
- Minimum of one day a week
- 2-4 hours per market to set-up, run the market, and clean-up
- Markets take place in Brooklyn and Manhattan, generally for a 2-hour timeframe between 2:30-7pm
- Paid hourly with additional produce perks and PTO
To apply, email your resume to email@example.com with the subject: “Market Leader - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.