We're Hiring Fellow Food Lovers
Join the Food Family. Change the Food System.
Local Roots is changing the way New Yorkers buy, cook, and eat locally sourced food. Join our team and play a role in revolutionizing localized food networks. We believe in the power of community. That we can connect fellow New Yorkers and sustainable family farmers. That if we work together, we can heal our broken food system and create a healthier, more delicious, just and sustainable future for all of us. That together, we're unstoppable. We’re looking dynamic, hard-working team players to join the Local Roots team.
Sourcing and Operations Manager
As Sourcing Manager, you are responsible for creating and managing relationships with vendors, curating weekly harvests, calculating and placing orders, and streamlining warehouse operations to reach maximum efficiency and oversee daily operations for fulfillment and execution. You will work closely with our partner farmers and purveyors to project orders, source new products and diverse produce varieties, order weekly products, and manage a small team. In addition to curating weekly harvests, you will also manage and grow our wholesale service.
We are seeking a candidate who can work independently to make strategic purchasing decisions and who is looking to grow with our company and to foster long term relationships with producers. This position is great for someone who has been a produce buyer or other food buyer in the past and has managed operations in environments that have prepared them to think on their feet and creatively solve problems.
- Curate weekly farm shares and place orders with local farms and producers
- Maintain high sourcing standards within weekly budgets
- Maintain detailed order and pricing documents that track all weekly purchases
- Plan long term crop plans with farms to ensure product availability for all seasons
- Develop institutional relationships for large scale sourcing and wholesale to manage and execute weekly wholesale orders and delivery
- Manage small warehouse team (3-4 people) to give consistent feedback and ensure that all necessary operations improvements are being executed
- Oversee all operations in the warehouse to ensure a clean, organized, cooperative system that maintains Local Roots’ product and delivery standards
- Oversee delivery logistics (scheduling, formatting labels, communication with delivery team members) for deliveries
- Evaluate each product’s profitability and strategize ways to improve profitability through efficient warehouse systems and long term planning with producers
- Order all warehouse materials and packaging supplies on a schedule that ensures efficient ordering and not shortages
- Partner with local companies to create white label products for the Local Roots brand
- Research and onboard new farmers and purveyors that meet Local Roots’ sourcing standards and maintain strong relationships with vendors
- Coordinate the the Marketing Team and Customer Service Team to relay essential information about farm updates, seasonality of new ingredients, and other insider knowledge about our farmers and purveyors
- Manage our small wholesale accounts to send updated wholesale lists and manage weekly recurring orders
- Additional opportunities are bound to come up as we are a small business and we all wear multiple hats and we have big ideas for our future!
Qualifications — Required
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience working in food/produce operations, including managing ops logistics & purchasing
- Experience placing orders and making projections for perishable and non-perishable ingredients
- Proven history of establishing and maintaining excellent relationships with vendors
- Strong understanding of COGS and how this relates to order purchasing and order projections
- Strong math skills and ability to make basic calculations for ordering and projection purposes
- Experience managing a small team of employees, giving them constructive feedback, and finding ways to support and challenge them in the workplace
- Ability to create and manage delivery schedules
- Experience managing inventory
- Proven ability to be highly proactive when initiating projects
- Ability and eagerness to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet project deadlines
- Eagerness to take initiative to present ideas to enhance productivity in warehouse and overall operations
- Excellent communication and organizational skills — can clearly articulate ideas and provide project updates and details
- An understanding of different farming practices or labels (cage free vs pasture raised), sustainable agriculture, seasonality in NorthEast
- Highly proficient in Google Docs, Google Sheets, and a master of spreadsheet formulas
- Seeks a small business work environment that is fast paced and fluid, thrives in self-management of projects and excels at problem solving and quick thinking
- Proven success in strategizing and building systems for growth
- Personable, works independently, feels comfortable in a leadership role but still thrives as a team player
- Demonstrated success making sourcing and ordering decisions that reflect an understanding of long term goals
Qualifications — Desired
- Strong network of contacts in the food industry
- Ability to quickly learn and navigate new software platforms
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience working in the NYC food or farming industry
- Desire to gain in-depth knowledge of sustainable agriculture, local food systems, regenerative farming practices
- Looking for a role that has opportunity for grow within our company
- Basic home cooking skills and interest in cooking
- Extremely independent, proactive, and self driven; able to manage your own projects
Hours and Availability
Sporadic weekend availability needed to troubleshoot any delivery changes that may come up from farmers over the weekend.
Warehouse is located in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Sourcing and Operations Manager - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.
Local Food Delivery Driver
We are looking for a fellow food lover who wants to join our team as an essential part of bringing flavorful, local ingredients to fellow New Yorkers.
- Safely load, transport, and deliver boxes of perishable ingredients to residences across Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens
- Stay on schedule to ensure timely deliveries
- Handle delicate ingredients carefully to maintain quality of products
- Represent Local Roots NYC by being positive, kind, and respectful
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- The Local Roots warehouse is located in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
- This is a part-time position, 3-4 hours shifts, Tuesday-Thursday
- Deliveries take place throughout Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens
- This position is paid hourly in addition to receiving a complimentary weekly share of organic vegetables
- Driving or grocery experience preferred
- Must have a proven clean driving record, valid driver's license, and access to a GPS device for navigation during work hours
- The Local Roots delivery driver will drive the company van
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Local Roots Delivery Driver Application [YOUR NAME] in the subject line.
Farm to Table Cafe Team Member
We are looking for a fellow food lover and chef who wants to join our team as an essential part of bringing flavorful, local ingredients to New Yorkers. Our new Market & Cafe in Carroll Gardens is a small operation with opportunities to grow within the company. It’s the perfect place to expand your cooking skills in a healthy work environment with a creative and collaborative team! The Market+Cafe promotes a healthy and collaborative work environment and each of our employees is valued for their opinions and skills.
- Food Preparation: Handle food in a safe and compliant manner. Follow recipes and prepare/cook food to the highest standards. Prepare ready-to-eat and pre-made foods to sell in the café. Monitor quality control of each food item throughout preparation and service.
- Receive and process deliveries. Store fresh produce and goods upon delivery according to food safety standards.
- Maintaining an efficient dish pit and clean kitchen, up to par with food safety standards.
- Opportunity for recipe development and creation using seasonal, local ingredients from our amazing farms.
- Team collaboration on events, new menu items, and building the market & cafe community.
- Event Preparation and Service: Support logistics for Local Roots events and lead the team in food preparation, service, and presentation.
- Covid-19 Compliance: We are opening during a Pandemic. All Team Members will be responsible for keeping the Market and Café safe and clean, and will be empowered to enforce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and reduced indoor capacity requirements as mandated by New York City.
- A punctual, reliable and responsive partner: You are a self starter and a real team player!
- Versatile and flexible- comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once
- Empathetic and thoughtful- excellent communication and listening skills.
- Has a strong sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership: you can work quickly and efficiently while staying calm in a fast paced environment
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Proven experience working quickly in the kitchen
- Commercial kitchen, restaurant or culinary experience required
- Experience with food preparation, knife skills, following recipes
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- This is a full time position ranging from 35-40 hrs/week. Part time hours are available as well.
- We ask for a general availability commitment during the interview process, mornings or evenings. We are happy to give you more information about the shifts during the interview process, though generally there will be a morning and evening shift.
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn with seating for approx 20 guests and offers take out options
- This position is paid hourly and receives tips cash and credit
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
See full job description here.
Local Roots is growing and we're looking for an experienced warehouse worker to play a critical role on our Operations team. In this capacity, you will aid with operations Monday through Friday by receiving, staging, and packing perishable, high quality ingredients.
This is a seasonal job in spring through fall, with the possibility of being extended throughout the year.
Core Responsibilities Include
- Maintain a clear and organized work station
- Weigh and pack diverse range on ingredients, including fruits, mushrooms, vegetables, eggs, cheese, and meat
- Execute quality control and maintain the high standards of ingredients being distributed
- Receive, weigh, stage, and palletize product accurately and efficiently
- Execute FIFO on all inventory
- Communicate clearly with Local Roots staff
- Maintain efficient systems and complete tasks in a brisk manner
Hours and Availability
This is a full-time position, 30-40 hours per week
Paid hourly with additional produce perks and PTO
To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Warehouse Associate - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.
- Is passionate about local ingredients, seasonal produce, and home cooking
- Is outgoing and friendly, who is able to clearly communicate announcements, information about each week’s share, answer questions to prospective members, and build rapport and relationships with the Local Roots community
- Has a can-do positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit who’s able and willing to do whatever it takes (e.g. lifting boxes, signing up new members, making sales, problem solving, and multi-tasking)
- Is extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Can problem solve on-the-spot and respond to members kindly when addressing any issues.
- Has a growth mindset and is able to receive and give feedback
Core Responsibilities Include
- Setup and breakdown the market site each week
- Curate a beautiful market experience for our Local Roots members
- Assist Local Roots members in picking up their groceries
- Distribute the correct quantity and variety of ingredients based on members’ specific orders
- Engage with Local Roots members by sharing notes about the seasonal produce, creative cooking tips, recipe ideas, and what you learn about our farmers and purveyors.
- Clearly explain the Local Roots brand to newbies and sell them on the weekly subscription service
- Build community around local food in your neighborhood
- Communicate with Local Roots team to share necessary feedback
- Sell ingredients onsite to upsell members and increase weekly sales
Hours and Availability
- Minimum of one day a week
- 2-4 hours per market to set-up, run the market, and clean-up
- Markets take place in Brooklyn and Manhattan, generally for a 2-hour timeframe between 2:30-7pm
- Paid hourly with additional produce perks and PTO
To apply, email your resume to email@example.com with the subject: “Market Leader - Your Name”. Please include a cover letter that details how your past experiences make you a great applicant for this position.