This viral Tiktok sensation is originally made with leftover salmon, but we’ve created a version for our vegan friends. Nori draped over sushi rice and soy sauce and ginger drizzled roasted carrots is the perfect bite. This really lives up to the hype!
1 cup short grain white rice
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ Tbsp. Local Roots apple cider vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 Tbsp. oil
¼ cup Local Roots soy sauce
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp. ground ginger
1 green onion
Toasted sesame seeds
Sushi nori sheets
Optional additional toppings:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the carrots, then cube and place on a baking sheet and toss in 1 tbsp of oil. Bake for 40 minutes until cooked through.
2. Rinse 1 cup of rice in a fine mesh strainer under running water until the water runs clear. This removes the starch and keeps the grains individual after cooking. In a small pot, stir together 1 ¼ cup of water, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 tsp salt until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the rinsed rice. With the lid on, turn the heat to medium-low and set a timer for 20 minutes. When the water is boiling, turn the heat down to low for the remaining time.
3. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, sugar, and ground ginger together. Microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring in between until the consistency is syrupy.
4. Wash and thinly slice the green onion.
5. Fold the sheets of nori into eighths if using full size sheets. They are crisp enough to tear along the lines once folded.
6. When the rice is ready, use a fork to fluff and plate the rice. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and any other preferred toppings.
NOTE: We recommend cubed avocado, sliced cucumber, and sriracha as delicious additional toppings!
7. After the carrots are finished roasting, drizzle over the soy sauce mixture. Sprinkle with green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve on top of the rice.
8. When everything is ready, use your chopsticks to place a nori sheet above the rice, carrots, and toppings. Pinch everything together and eat the perfect bite.
This recipe was created by Local Roots recipe contributor Irena Huang
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.