Ideal as a weeknight dinner, this dish is as tasty as it is curious. Fresh local turnips shine in this minimal effort meal. The peppery turnips meld with the onion-y chive cream sauce for this fancy yet unfussy bite. Another hit in your easy recipe catalogue.
2 Local Roots turnips, thinly sliced
1 ball of your favorite ready made pizza dough
1 tablespoon of chopped chives
1 tablespoon of chopped dill
⅓ cup sour cream
¼ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. To clean your turnips, simply scrub them under running water to remove excess dirt. A mandolin is highly recommended to get paper thin slices of turnip. After slicing turnips, place in a bowl of water to prevent oxidation while preparing the cream.
2. To make the cream, combine all ingredients. The sauce can be made a day in advance and also makes a great dip for snacking with all your favorite raw veggies.
3. To assemble, roll out pizza dough as instructed and spread with spoonful of chive cream in an even layer. Next, from the outside working inward, shingle arrange the turnip slices.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake for 9-12 minutes until the pizza crust is golden and the edges of turnips have began to char.
5. Allow to cool for five minutes and devour.
Recipe by Local Roots New Yorker @ShanaBeee
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!