Spigarello With Poached Eggs
Recipe from Food 52
1 bunch organic Local Roots spigarello, washed and stems removed (put stems aside)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pasture raised Local Roots eggs, cracked into a small bowl
Coarse salt, to taste
Freshly cracked black pepper, to tasteDirections:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the spigarello into the boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat and then add in the garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. With tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the spigarello from the boiling water and put it in the saute pan, tossing to coat. Saute for about 3-4 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, turn the heat on the cooking water down to low. When the boiling dies down, swirl the water in the pot gently and slip the eggs into the middle of the whirlpool. Cook the eggs for 5-6 minutes (or however done you like them). When the eggs are done, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a folded paper towel to soak up any water.
5. Plate the spigarello with the eggs on top. Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Optional: With spigrello stems, dice and sprinkle them on top of your dish or saute them with olive oil, salt and pepper for a side dish.