Recipe by Local Roots recipe champ Chef Megan Watson @mwatsonnyc
This is crunchy, sweet and salty. With chili oil providing a bit of spice, it becomes a very satisfying, cool summer salad. I have poured this salad over ramen noodles to great effect but it is also the perfect accompaniment to grilled meat.
YIELD: Serves 2
TIME: 45 minutes
1. Cut ends off the cucumbers. Use peeler to create vertical stripes on the cucumber (See image below). Cut into 4 pieces so it can fit into a zip lock bag. Seal tightly. Use small frying pan to smash until they break apart. Remove from the bag and discard seeds and pulp. With small spoon, scrape remaining seeds and pulp from cucumber pieces. Using hands, break cucumbers into 1 inch pieces and transfer to fine mesh strainer over a deep bowl. Next, add salt and sugar and quickly massage with your hands to spread. Let cucumbers drain for 30 minutes. From this, you achieve crisp, quick pickled cucumbers.
2. Julienne snap peas into thin strips. Place aside
3. In medium bowl, add palm sugar and lime juice. Whisk until sugar has dissolved and mixture becomes almost syrupy. Next, whisk in fish sauce. Toss along with sugar snap peas.
4. In another bowl (sorry for the dishes), whisk together garlic, ginger, soy, vinegar and sesame oil to create dressing.
5. Discard drained, excess moisture from cucumbers. Place the cucumbers in the bowl, add dressing and sesame seeds and toss.
6. Place the cucumbers on plate. Top with sugar snap peas and any remaining dressing. Follow by drizzling chili oil over and sprinkle on cilantro
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!