Roasted Beet and Carrot Soup with Greens
October 03, 2018
Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Susan Streit Sherman
3/4 pound beets, scrubbed, greens and stems washed and reserved
3/4 pound carrots
7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra for drizzling
Freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Best quality balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
Toasted bread, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place the beets on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Double wrap foil around the beets. Repeat the process with the carrots. Roast vegetables until very tender, about 45 minutes. Once cooked, allow vegetables to cool slightly then rub gently with a paper towel to remove their skins. Cut the vegetables into large chunks.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and 2 large pinches of salt to pot and sauté until onion softens, stirring frequently, about 6 to 7 minutes. Do not let the onion brown.
4. Add the peeled roasted beets and carrots and chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer soup to a high-speed blender and process until puréed (or, puree soup in pot with an immersion blender). Season soup with salt to taste.
5. Thinly slice the beet green stems (about 1 cup) and tear the greens.
6.Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add beet stems and 2 large pinches of salt and sauté until they've released their water and are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the greens and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary. Drizzle with best quality balsamic vinegar.
7. Pour soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serve alongside sautéed greens and toasted bread.