Making this decadent galette for a few friends (or just for oneself) is a splendid way to make use of some of spring's star players, strawberries and rhubarb. Always local, always grown with care, Local Roots fruits help elevate this simple dessert from standard to stunning in a few easy steps. This is one of those desserts that looks like it took hours to make and some pretty advanced skills to pull off, when in reality, all you need is a bit of time and a healthy appreciation for delicious, homemade treats.
12 Tbsps. cold Local Roots unsalted butter
½ cup ice cold water
1 cup Local Roots strawberries
1 cup Local Roots rhubarb
2 tsps. sugar
1 pinch sea salt
½ cup water
1. In a food processor, add flour and butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated in the flour.
2. Slowly stream in the water until the dough comes together.
TIP: You may not need to use all the water.
3. Place in the fridge for 2 hours before use or freeze it for the future.
TIP: Galette dough can make 2 x 240 grams (12 inch galette)
4. For the filling, simply slice the strawberries in halves and slice the rhubarb into thick chunks.
5. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries, rhubarb, and ½ cup of water with sugar and salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
7. Grease a large oven safe pan sheet with butter, lay the circular galette dough, add 1 and ½ cup of the strawberries and rhubarb, roll the edges of the galette, and bake for 25-30 minutes until the crust is nice and golden.
8. Serve either warm or cold, and enjoy!
This recipe was created by Local Roots contributor Fatima Mortada / @hummusmeetspizza
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.