Dressed in a lemony homemade mayonnaise, these shrimp and celery rolls are full of brightness and crunch. Each roll is layered with fresh lettuce and creamy shrimp salad to create an ideal summer meal.
Ingredients1 Local Roots egg yolk, room temperature
1. Make the homemade lemon mayonnaise. Zest the lemon into a medium bowl, then whisk together the room temperature egg yolk, salt, sugar, and lemon zest.
TIP: If you’re in a rush, put the whole egg in a mug of hot water and set aside for a few minutes.
2. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out 1 tbsp of juice. Add ½ tsp of dijon mustard and 1 tbsp of lemon juice to the egg yolk mixture and whisk.
3. While whisking vigorously, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil a few drops at a time. Keep whisking and adding in the oil until the mixture thickens and lightens in color, becoming creamy and light. Set aside.
NOTE: To save your arm strength, you can also do this process in a food processor.
4. Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high with a drizzle of vegetable oil. Sautè the shrimp and sprinkle them with salt, garlic powder, and paprika. After 1-2 minutes, flip the shrimp and season the other side. When the shrimp are no longer translucent, remove from the heat.
5. Wash the celery well and then cut off the root end. Gather together and slice thinly.
6. Wash and dry a few lettuce leaves. Toast the hot dog buns until they are warm and golden.
7. Chop the shrimp into large chunks. Stir together the celery and shrimp with the lemon mayonnaise.
8. Layer lettuce leaves on top of the toasted buns and spoon over the shrimp and celery mixture. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was created by Local Roots contributor Irena Huang / @irena__huang
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.