Recipe by Local Roots recipe contributor, Chef Casey Corn @casey_corn
Kohlrabi is one of those vegetables that no one seems to know how to prepare. It's gorgeous at the markets, but how do you eat it? Sort of cross between a potato, a turnip and a radish, flavor-wise, it cooks up great as a starch, making it a great addition to gnocchi. Note: They do take in quite a bit of flour, so have extra handy just in case.
½ lb kohlrabi
2 ea medium potatoes
1 ½ c flour
1 tsp salt
1 ea egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Trim any leaves and stems off the kohlrabi. Set aside nice leaves for pesto. Rub kohlrabi and potatoes with a little bit of olive oil, season with salt, and put onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake kohlrabi about 45 min to an hour and half, depending on how big they are, and cook potatoes approximately an hour. Both should be fork tender when done.
3. When kohlrabi and potatoes are done, remove them from oven and allow cool only enough to handle safely. Peel both with your hands, and use a potato ricer to mash them into a bowl. If you let them cool down too much, they will become gluey as they come through the ricer.
4. Mix together in the bowl, until evenly combined. Add a cup of the flour, and the salt, and start to mix with a spatula. Pour in the beaten egg, and stir to combine.
5. Once the dough has come together, dust your work surface with flour. Turn the dough out, and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Add more flour if the dough is still sticky, up to ½ cup.
6. Bring a pot of salt water to a boil. Roll out the gnocchi dough into a long snake, and cut off even pieces to make your gnocchi. You can use a fork or a gnocchi board to roll them, or just use as is. Drop them one at a time carefully into your boiling water. When they float, they are ready, and use a slotted spoon to scoop them out onto another baking sheet, lined with parchment.
7. Continue with the rest of the gnocchi until they’re all cooked, then serve with Garlic Scape and Kohlrabi Greens Pesto.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!