1 delicata squash or root vegetable like potatoes or sweet potatoes
Preferred spices: Local Roots Sumacin Me Crazy, cumin + chili, zaatar, etc
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Diced parsley (optional)
1. Halve your squash or root vegetable lengthwise. You can either peel the skin off, or keep it on.
2. Scoop out the seeds and save them for later to roast (if using squash for recipe)
3. Place the squash on a roasting pan, and roast it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees to soften it.
4. Remove the squash, and place both halves cut side down on a cutting board.
5. Place one chopstick alongside the squash and the other on the other side of the squash so it looks like a ladder and the squash is in the middle of the ladder. Carefully cut thin slices into the top of the squash, allowing the chopsticks to guard you from cutting too far down. You want to cut far enough into the squash leaving about 1/4 inch uncut, but not too far down where it'll cut through the squash.
6. Drizzle oil over layers of squash and go heavy on the spices. Try to get them in between the layers
7. Place the squash back in the oven and roast it for about 50 minutes or until tender.
If you're using other root veggies like potatoes or sweet potatoes, you can use the same recipe but don't bother peeling the skin and you can drizzle oil and spices on the vegetable before even pre-cooking the vegetable (step 3). Simply season, place in oven, and cook through til it's soft and crispy on top.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.