This colorful salad will come together in seconds if you roast the celeriac ahead of time. The salad itself is simple but celebrates that nutty and hearty root vegetable that is celeriac. Paired with capers, lemon and a good quality olive oil, the flavor of celeriac is reminiscent of the most tender and succulent fresh artichoke heart. What a wonderful way to enjoy fresh winter vegetables.
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped dill
1 tsp. capers
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a roasting pan or cake pan, roast the celeriac, with 2 inches of water at the bottom of the pan cover tightly in foil.
3. Check the celeriac after 1 hour with a knife or cake tester. You should not feel any resistance. If it is still tough, roast for 30 more minutes and check again.
4. Cool the celeriac until cool enough to handle.
5. Cut the end off the bottom with the roots and continue to cut away the outer skin.
6. Cut the root into bit sized pieces. Discard any part of the inside that is spongy or tough.
7. Put the celeriac on a plate and drizzle with olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the celeriac in olive oil.
8. In another small bowl, combine the lemon juice, dill, capers, carrot, daikon, and onion. Add a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt and mix well. Taste to check for seasoning.
9. To serve, Plate the celeriac and nestle the lemon dressed vegetables around the celeriac.
10. Finish the salad with freshly zested lemon.
This recipe was created by Local Roots Recipe Contributor Sachi Nagase / @bothand.nyc
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!