In the midst of a winter as cold as this one, only something as hearty as this low carb Whole 30 bowl has the power to warm you up from the inside out. This recipe takes advantage of organic root vegetables like bright beets and carrots in peak season, allowing them to develop layers of flavor through roasting them and serving them in a hot, flavorful broth, topping it all off with a luscious jammy egg. Making room for greens in this dish means checking off all of the boxes from healthy (check!) to satisfying (check again!) and perfect for the winter season (double check!).
This recipe is certified FRESH and doctor approved by Chef Dr. Rob Graham, MD, MPH
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2" knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1" knob of ginger peeled and whole
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
2-3 large Local Roots collard greens, de-stemmed and rough chopped
3 Local Roots carrots, peeled and chopped
2 Local Roots golden beets, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 scallion, chopped
Lime, zest and juice
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat a sauce pan to medium heat and add 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Sauté minced shallot, minced ginger and minced garlic until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
4. Add broth and whole ginger to pot, cover and set heat to gently simmer the broth.
5. While that is simmering, toss carrots and beets in a mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and the Chinese Five Spice.
6. Toss to coat and pour onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes in oven.
7. Once those are cooked it's time to assemble bowls.
8. Place a portion of raw, chopped collards in the bottom of a soup bowl. Add roasted carrots and beets.
9. Ladle hot broth over the vegetables, garnish with lime zest, a squeeze of lime juice and chopped scallion and serve with a jammy egg.
Jammy Egg: (Credit: Bon Appetit)
Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Add Local Roots pasture raised egg. Set timer and boil egg for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Remove egg from boiling water and place into an ice bath for 2 minutes. Peel and enjoy.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
Delicious, farm-fresh harvests are closer than you think.