Creamy and savory, this quiche celebrates the slight bitterness of broccoli rabe while balancing it with salty feta and hints of thyme, red pepper flakes, and lemon. The flaky, buttery crust makes this perfect for brunch or a special breakfast!
For the crust:
1 ½ cups Local Roots all purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
⅓ tsp. dried thyme
10 Tbsps. Local Roots unsalted butter
2 ½ Tbsp. cold water
For the quiche filling:
½ cup Local Roots whole milk
½ cup Local Roots heavy cream
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 7 oz. block Local Roots feta cheese
1 bunch Local Roots broccoli rabe
Optional: lemon zest
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and thyme. Cube the cold butter into small chunks and then use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like sand. Use your fingers to gently stir in the egg and 2 ½ tsps. of cold water until the mixture just comes together. Press the dough into a ball and then flatten it into a disk.
2. Either roll the dough out into a disk slightly larger than your pie dish or place the dough into the pie disk and press it evenly along the bottom and sides. Place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. While the dough is chilling, prepare the quiche filling. In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the 4 eggs, whole milk, and heavy cream.
4. Wash the broccoli rabe and set aside 2-3 of the most beautiful stalks. Chop the rest of the broccoli rabe into a fine mince and add it to the egg mixture. Crumble the block of feta into the egg mixture, then whisk everything together with the salt and red pepper flakes.
5. When the oven is preheated and the dough has chilled, remove the pie dish from the freezer and use a fork to make indentations across the bottom of the pie crust. These dots prevent the bottom crust from bubbling up. Place a piece of parchment paper across the bottom and then line the dish with pie weights. Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes.
6. After the crust has blind baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and then remove the pie weights. Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Give the egg mixture one last whisk and then pour it into the pie crust. Drape the 2-3 broccoli rabe stalks you reserved over the top of the quiche for ornamentation. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center barely jiggles and the rest of the quiche is completely set.
8. When the quiche is ready, allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Sprinkle with flaky salt and, optionally, lemon zest. Slice and serve!
This recipe was created by Local Roots contributor Irena Huang / @irena__huang
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!