Recipe by Jenn de la Vega, @Randwiches
Feel a little less guilty about wrapping your hot dogs in bacon with the fresh crunch of Local Roots produce! Use what's in season for you and swap out the sauerkraut for any pickles you love.
4 Stryker Farm or Meat Hook hot dogs
4 hot dog buns
1 large carrot or 2 small, sliced as thin as you can vertically
1/4 cup sauerkraut, drained
1 leek or 2 scallions, julienned
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
3. Wrap each hot dog with a piece of bacon, try to spiral it diagonally so it reaches end to end.
4. Use a toothpick to secure each side or try to lay them on the pan with the loose edges facing down.
5. Bake the bacon wrapped dogs for 10 to 15 minutes until the bacon crisps on the edges.
6. Remove the toothpicks and place the hot dogs in the buns.
7. Dress each hot dog with a few slices of carrot, leek and a tablespoon (or more) of sauerkraut. Enjoy while still hot.
ZERO WASTE TIP: Reserve the bacon fat in a ramekin and store it in the fridge for frying eggs or stir fry.
What do you think of this recipe? Let Jenn know on Twitter.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!