Everyone loves a simple salad that shines because of the delicious seasonal vegetables in it. Pair spicy arugula with rich, thinly sliced prosciutto and tart, earthy, pickled beets. Top that off with crunchy shaved radish, parm, and a balsamic lemon dressing, and you have a salad you won't be able to stop eating.
5-6 pieces prosciutto
3-4 small Local Roots beets, washed
For the pickled beets:
½ cup white vinegar
5 black peppercorns
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp. salt
For the dressing:
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, grated or minced
1. Boil the beets in a saucepan until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. While the beets are still hot, rub the skins away with a towel and cut into quarters.
3. Place the beets in a heatproof jar.
4. Combine vinegar, peppercorns, salt and sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Pour the hot liquid over the beets.
6. Set aside to cool and then in the fridge. Beets can be stored for a week in the fridge.
7. Make the dressing.
8. Whisk together the balsamic, lemon juice, garlic, and a pinch of black pepper and salt.
9. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
10. Taste and add salt if necessary.
11. Shave the radishes carefully with your knife or a mandolin. Place the shaved radish pieces in a bowl of ice water. The ice water will make the pieces very crunchy and will curl them slightly.
12. Assemble the salad.
13. On a large plate, assemble the greens, with pieces of prosciutto, beet and radishes tucked throughout.
14. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and shave a good amount of parmesan on top.
15. Sprinkle with a little bit of flaky sea salt if you like, and dig in!
This recipe was created by Local Roots Recipe contributor Sachi Nagase / @bothand.nyc
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!