Any short/medium pasta that's good for baking
Herbs: oregano, rosemary, thyme (or all)
1) Top and tail the eggplant and cut into cubes. Line a colander with a paper towel and transfer the cubed eggplant into that. Salt generously and then allow to sit for about 45mins-1 hour. This draws out bitterness from the eggplant.
2) While the eggplant is sitting, finely chop the onion and some garlic (1-4 cloves based on your taste and the size of the cloves) and then heat a splash of olive oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant and softened.
3) Add the cubed eggplant and saute. After a few minutes, add some passata (about a cup or so, but make that decision for yourself based on how saucey and tomato-y you want) and the herbs. Season to taste with the herbs and salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to cook down and thicken. While the sauce cooks:
4) Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add the pasta. Cook for about 10 minutes or until it's al dente. Preheat the oven to 350F.
5) While the pasta cooks, stir in a spoonful or two of cream cheese into the sauce. Then drain the pasta, and mix into the sauce to coat well.
6) Transfer the pasta and sauce into a baking dish and top with slices of mozzarella and grated Parmesan. Pop in the oven for 20-25 mins or until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
Local Roots Experiences are fun, pop-up events where we bring the farm to you!
VIP discounts and more. Get 20% off any add-on just for signing up!